Friday, December 14, 2012

Swimming Slugs!

It had not occurred to me until last night that slugs and snails, even small ones, might benefit from having a dish of water available. I had always assumed that they only got their moisture through their skin and from food. However, things I'd read led me to give it a try. I filled up the cap of a gallon jug with distilled water and almost immediately had a taker. A young L. valentiana eagerly slimed up for a drink. However, after drinking his fill, he decided that a little swim was in order.



Imagine my startlement when I saw that! I thought that he would surely drown, but that wasn't the case. It's difficult to tell from the picture, but he's fully submerged. He seemed to genuinely enjoy himself. When he was done, he got out, slimed away and munched on some corn. Will they ever cease to amaze?

No comments:

Post a Comment